Becomes First Active Player Ever Elected to Board
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. –The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame today announced that NBA star Grant Hill of the Phoenix Suns has been elected to the Board of Governors for a three-year term. He is the first active player to ever serve on the Hall of Fame’s Board. He will serve as one of 22 members of the Board of Governors, which is chaired by Jerry Colangelo.
“It is truly an honor to be elected as a member of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Board of Governors and to represent the living history of basketball,” said Hill. “It is important for the current generation of players to get involved with the Hall to help recognize the greatest in the game who have gone before us.”
As one of the most versatile players ever to play in the NBA, Hill has had a successful career playing with the Detroit Pistons, Orlando Magic and now the Suns. He began his career at Duke University where he helped the Blue Devils win National Championships in 1991 and 1992. After being drafted third overall in the 1994 NBA Draft by the Pistons, he was named the co-NBA Rookie of the Year in 1995 and went on to become a seven-time NBA All-Star. He was named All-NBA First Team in 1997 and has also received three NBA Sportsmanship awards in 2005, 2008 and 2010.
“Grant Hill has been one of the most dedicated, honorable and well-respected individuals the game has ever seen,” said Colangelo. “The Board recognized that Grant has offered a high level of leadership and integrity both on and off the court for so many years at all levels of the game.”
The Board of Governors serves as the group responsible for overseeing the management of the Basketball Hall of Fame. Made up of individuals that work in or have worked in the game as well as business leaders that have supported the game, the Board is responsible for the governance of the Hall and its election process as well as to determine ways to raise revenue and increase awareness. The Board of Governors are ambassadors for the Hall promoting its core mission, which is to celebrate the greatest moments and people in basketball on a worldwide basis.
About the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame:
Located in Springfield, Massachusetts, the city where basketball was invented, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame promotes and preserves the game of basketball at every level – professional, collegiate and high school, for both men and women on the global stage.
Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Board of Governors:
- Valerie Ackerman, Former President, WNBA & USA Basketball
- George Bodenheimer, President, ESPN Inc. and ABC Sports
- Ulysses “Junior” Bridgeman, President, CEO and Owner, Manna, Inc.
- Greg Butler Senior V.P. & General Counsel, Northeast Utilities
- Jerry Colangelo (HOF Class of ‘04), Chairman, Board of Governors and Chairman, USA Basketball
- Jody Conradt (HOF Class of ‘98), Former Head Coach, University of Texas
- Charles Denson, President, Nike Brand, Nike Inc.
- George Dickerman, Chairman (Retired), Spalding Sports Worldwide
- Russ Granik, Deputy Commissioner, (Retired) NBA
- Robin Harris, Executive Director, The Ivy League
- Grant Hill, Player, NBA’s Phoenix Suns
- Mannie Jackson, Chairman (Retired), Harlem Globetrotters International
- William Koenig, NBAE EVP, Business Affairs & General Counsel, NBA
- Joel Litvin, President, League & Basketball Operations, NBA
- Joseph LoBello, Chairman (Retired), Peoples Bank
- Harvey Mackay, Chairman & Founder, MackayMitchell Envelope Co.
- Greg Shaheen, Interim Executive Vice President of Championships and Alliances, NCAA
- Tom Stultz, Senior Vice President & Managing Director, IMG College
- Mark Tatum, Executive VP, Global Marketing Partnerships, NBA
- Jim Taubenfeld, Attorney, CPA & CFO, Me Salve, Inc.
- Victor Ugolyn, Chairman, Wisdom Tree Trust, Chairman, MONY Securities (Retired)
- Elaine Wynn, Director, Wynn Resorts
For more information:
Visit us on the web: www.hoophall.com
… on Facebook: www.facebook.com/BBHOF
… on Twitter: @hoophall
… or call 1-877-4-HOOPLA
Hall of Fame Media Contact:
Kevin Foley, Position Sports
Phoenix Suns Media Relations:
Julie Fie, Phoenix Suns
Hill Ventures Contact:
Gladys Ramos, Hill Ventures, Inc.